Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Console Slayer 4/1/2014.

   Since this is a comic book page/site first and foremost and because I like them so much I'd like to discuss video games based on comic books/characters. There have been a lot of them over the years but I play more retro games than modern so I haven't played a lot of the newer ones like the Arkham series (played the demo of the first game), the X-Men Legends series or the Deadpool game so I won't be touching on those. (Feel free to discuss them in the comments though.)

   I have a lot of time and experienced logged on many of the old school platformers like Maximum Carnage, Separation Anxiety, X-Men & X-Men 2: Clone Wars and others like the TMNT series. A little known gem is on the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive platform based on the TV series 'The Phantom'. It plays really fun and is a solid platformer.

   I loved Maximum Carnage and Separation Anxiety on SG/SNES. They were pretty difficult and quite long. Some might have grown tired of them because of the repetitive gameplay but I found the gameplay enjoyable. I never have beaten those games legitimately (without cheating). It was SOOOO cool at the time being able to play as Venom. He played different than Spider-Man and I think kind of stole the show as far as I was concerned. X-Men on the Genesis/MD was another fun platformer. For me it became somewhat easy at a certain point after spending so much time on it but the difficulty definitely ramped up in the later stages. It had a varied selection of X-Men to choose from, each with their own unique style and abilities. There were also one-time use power-ups that provided support in the form of other (non-playable) X-Men. I have beaten it legitimately which leads me to my next point about this game: It also included a very cool, unique feature, which I'll describe with some help from Moby Games: “Near the end of the final stage the game actually requires the player to reset the system, with a light press of the reset button. This causes issues in emulation and on the Sega Nomad handheld system, effectively rendering the game not completable. It was also possible to inadvertently fully reset the system by hitting the button too hard.”

   X-Men 2 on Genesis/MD was another I spent tons of time on. A great variety of characters to choose from, again with their own unique movesets and abilities. This was the first game one could play as Magneto! (After one unlocks him of course.) I loved this game. The difficulty was moderate I'd say and I've beaten it several times. There's a decent amount of strategy involved in beating this game because some characters moves and abilities are better suited to completing some stages. A wide variety of stages to go through here. Visiting the Savage Land was very cool to me, I was only disappointed that Sinister wasn't there.

   Another game I spent some time with was X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse on SNES. I used to play it at my cousin's house as they owned an SNES and I did not. Another solid game. This one was more of a beat-em up I'd say. It featured a number of different characters and if I remember correctly, they were voiced by their TV counterparts. This was a fun game to an extent but I don't remember it holding my attention as long as the Genesis games. Definitely give these games a try if you want to play some good games based on comics, if you can get a hold of them of course. Pawn shops/thrift stores are often the best places to look. I'm a big X-Men fan, it's my favorite comic series and I do have X-Men Legends 1 & 2 on PS2 and Xbox which I plan to get to eventually, in part because I hear they're great.

   I'm sure you all have played a lot of them. What memories do you have of games based on comics? What are your favorites? Any recommendations? For today's tune I'll share one from possibly my favorite game that I've talked about today, X-Men 2: Clone Wars on Genesis. It's called 'Avalon 3'. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgMIsK4CYZo







No comments:

Post a Comment