Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Oliver's Reviews: Saga #5, Star Wars: Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison #3

Saga #5
I was trying to approach this review with the most objective state of mind that I can muster. Examine every panel, go through every nook and cranny. Try to study every minute detail. Try to see if this project has any faults among all the good.

I can't find any.
Believe me I tried.

Saga, at just five issues so far, has been one of the most enjoyable comics that I've ever read apart from the big two....or no, make that even with the big two. 

It's just amazing! The story is engaging. It's never boring. There's always something good happening. It's like watching an episode of your favorite tv show where you just can't get enough of it. The premise is good, you'll never run out of good stories from "protagonists running for their lives" kinds of stories. I also like how BKV managed to marry technology and magic for this series and it has been put to good use so far.

And the art. I may sound like a broken record but Fiona Staples is just an amazing artist! I keep saying that for every review of Saga that I make. I just can't help it. The character designs alone guarantees that this series is top dollar quality. And every panel comes alive and vibrant. The whole art team needs to get a raise actually. 

This is a high concept, fantastically paced comic that clearly exemplifies thinking outside the box when it comes to execution of ideas. If you've got friends that have not read a comic book all their lives, this is the one that you give to them.

Star Wars: Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison #3

This comic has gotten better with each subsequent issue. It is really nice to see Vader on the flip side. Being the prey as opposed to the hunter. I find it amazing that the Star Wars universe still continues to thrive even after all this time. They still manage to insert ideas in between sections of the movies wether it be novel, television or comic. 

This book is one of the better ideas to come from the extended universe. 

I thoroughly enjoyed this issue. I definitely thrilled at the scene inside the Jedi temple, which I couldn't really elaborate on too much for fear of spoilers, same thing with that scene when Vader finally reached his destination.

The art? Outstanding. You never see art like this on your average comic. Clearly the artist put a lot of care and effort with every detail in every panel. It's not so often that you get a solid one two punch when it comes to story and art. This book is one of the few exceptions. 

This book is a must buy for any true blue star wars fan out there. One of the better series to come out of Dark Horse. I give it my 100% seal of approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment