Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Review: Irredeemable #37

images-21
I was actually a little taken aback when I heard that issue 37 was the final issue of Mark Waid's excellent superhero comic with a twist. I felt there was still a lot more story that needed telling, and I wasn't sure how Waid was going to tie it all up in one issue. Oh, me of little faith. I should know by now that one should always trust Mr. Waid. This issue ends the story perfectly. Character arcs are completed, Loose ends tied up and the final couple of pages will no doubt give readers a pay off we never expected, but makes complete sense. This series has been unique and exciting from beginning to end, and one of the finest examples of superhero comics on the market.



The relationship between Plutonian and Quibit comes full circle in this issue, and you really get a sense of the Plutonian's desire for redemption. It's not quite remorse, although there is a beautiful moment toward the end were I actually felt sorry for Tony. I think the mark of a good writer is when a character triggers an emotional response, and that's exactly what happens. it's hard given details without spoilers, so you're going to have to trust me on this one. Sufficed to say, waid delivers a unique and fitting end to his critically acclaimed epic.

Diego Barreta is at his absolute best. from the opening splash page depicting Plutonian fighting dinosaurs (superheroes vs dinosaurs is always a good thing), to the beautiful landscapes that grace the panels like pictures from a travel magazine, Baretta pours his heart and soul into each panel. Waid's strong character moments are made all the more powerful by the expressive art. And those last 2 pages! Wow. I really don't know what else to say about this book other than go buy it. The first trade can be picked up for under $10 - a worthy investment.

No comments:

Post a Comment