Monday, January 30, 2012

Creator Roundup

shieldCreator
This week, Dan Hipp's in a half shell, Fabio Moon gets fashionable, Terry Moore goes digital, Jamie McKelvie takes the white Queen royal, Brian Wood posts massive, Charles Soule is in the library, Skottie Young breaks a bone while falling down a drain pipe, Dave Johnson pops pills, Garth Ennis talks about his shadow, Francesco Francavilla goes to space and Phil Noto captures a kodak moment.






-
Dan Hipp does the Heroes in Half-Shells:
TURTLES-1

- Fabio Moon was inspired by fashion:
6767466043_0ab6187679_b


- Terry Moore is putting his stuff on ComiXology. Here's why:
I’ve signed with ComiXology to make my comics available digitally. This weekend I’ll be prepping SIP for them. I’d like to get Rachel Rising to them ASAP as well.
Don’t misunderstand me as abandoning print. That’s not the case at all. I’m adding this to the mix, not replacing anything. For me, digital is another retail outlet. I want—I NEED—to be on your iPad, and ComiXology is the way to do that. I’m very happy to work with them and I’m happy they want to carry my work.
Because I have a larger readership than my direct market figures suggest, I constantly hear from readers about the difficulty in finding my books. That’s not good. Today, in the age of iPad, new readers are practically demanding I get my digital act together. And they’re right. It’s time.

-
Jamie McKelvie dresses the White Queen in true royal garb:
tumblr_lyl49hTZui1qb0qmuo1_r1_400

- Brian Wood posted the cover for The Massive #1:
6fa7bcd5510b5de776d11b99bcd04b87

-
Charles Soule's 27 was selected as one of the 2012 great graphic noveld for teens by the Young Adult Library Services Association. Here's what he has to say about it:
First of all, this is a huge honor.  You look at the other works on that list, and it’s clear that 27 is in some spectacular company.  I’m very proud of everyone who worked on the book to get us there – Renzo Podesta, Scott Forbes, Shawn DePasquale on the substance of the book itself, and Jim Valentino and his crew at Shadowline and Image Comics for all their wonderful work getting 27 into the world.

The second thing that is potentially great about this selection – and I’m going to be a little mercenary here, so if you hate it when a dude gets all businesslike then click away now (no, don’t) – is that librarians all over the country and the rest of the English-speaking world use the YALSA list as a strong guide towards what they should buy and stock in their own libraries.  So, while nothing is certain, it could be a nice boost for the series as a whole.  Books these days live and die on things like this, and it can be very important to break out of the (wonderful, but not necessarily gigantic) standard audience of comics readers.  For example, I know that the Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer series from SLG was able to get into the black and continue for several volumes because of its inclusion on this list a few years ago.  So, if we’re lucky (or luckier – we’ve already been damn lucky with this series) then librarians everywhere will be foisting 27 off on unruly teens, and if they love it enough, we’ll be doing 27 for ages.

-
Skottie Young has a couple of new illustrations, both worth showing off:
super_mario_bro_by_skottieyoung-d4nh5fbBone002


-
Dave Johnson's latest work:
tetsuo_by_devilpig-d4nu22m

-
Garth Ennis talks briefly about The Shadow with ICv2:
First of all, what attracted you to the character of The Shadow?
Great looking character- the hat, the scarf, the coat, the blazing eyes, the twin pistols.  Great era to set stories in- the 1930s, as fascinating and romantic as it gets.  The crime/pulp angle. And the power to cloud men's minds, which I'm having a lot of fun with.
 
Let’s talk about some of the original Shadow’s fantasy powers like his mind-clouding ability, do you plan to tone down or eliminate those to make the character more realistic?
No, I quite like that stuff.  He's going to be pretty much the character people remember, if a little more ruthless and dangerous. And you won't see so much of the old supporting cast.
 
Will your new Shadow comic be set in the past (1930s, 40s) or do you plan to bring the character into the present (or to put it crassly, do you have any plans to replace those twin .45’s with Glocks?)?
It's set firmly in 1938. Even if I did update it, there's no way I'd replace 45s with Glocks, ever.
 
Do you plan to retain The Shadow’s supporting cast (Moe, Margo Lane, Clyde Burke, Harry Vincent, Jericho Druke)?
The only one you'll really see is Margo Lane, who I think is a great character--a brave and resourceful young woman who almost immediately finds herself out of her depth.  Even she isn't fully aware of the lengths The Shadow will go to in order to achieve his aims.


-
Francesco Francavilla posted this poster on WhatNot:
phantoms_of_space_low

-
Phil Noto has a new 'photo' on his site:
tumblr_lyhdvtx7oL1qhyhwto1_1280

No comments:

Post a Comment